Asphalt shingle roofs have been the first option in the roofing market for a long time. It offers protection and aesthetics to homes. However, you would be surprised by the wide variety of roofing alternatives existing nowadays. So, are you thinking about replacing your old roof? Then, consider metal roofing as an alternative.
You can find metal shingles, metal panels, and many designed to imitate tile, slate, wood, and asphalt shingles. Besides, their durability and energy efficiency are the best among roofing materials.
Hence, there is an incredible diversity of options when it comes to choosing a new roof for your home.
Since a project like this is a significant investment, you have to evaluate in detail every option. This way, you’ll make the right choice for your home. In this sense, we’ll show you below the pros and cons of metal roofing and asphalt shingles.
Is a Metal Roof Better Than Asphalt Shingles?
Let’s make something clear. Both asphalt shingles and metal roofing are excellent options for homes. Both will last for many years and will protect your home.
Yet only one of them will suit better your needs, preferences, and home style.
In terms of costs, asphalt shingles represent a lower initial investment. However, metal roofing lifespan is two or three times longer than asphalt shingles, and they are more energy-efficient. Then, the choice will depend on your needs.
Asphalt shingles are still the most preferred roofing material among homeowners. You can find a wide range of textures and colors on the market. Likewise, their strong structure with a fiberglass core, an asphalt coating, and a stone or ceramic surface make them very durable.
On the other hand, metal roofing has high durability and energy efficiency, besides being lightweight. Also, it offers a wide variety of options, and its designs imitate very well other roofing materials.
But, what are their respective pros and cons?
And which type of material is the best for your home?
Let’s find the answers next.
Metal Roof vs. Asphalt Shingles: Pros and Cons
Pros of Asphalt Shingles:
- Usually, homeowners consider asphalt shingles as the most appealing roofing option. You can choose among a diversity of colors and textures, including some looking like wood. Therefore, you’ll find a style that provides curb appeal to your home.
- They are the most popular roofing material. Thus, your home style will likely be consistent with the rest of your neighborhood if you chose it.
- Asphalt shingles are easy to install when compared to metal roofs.
- They absorb heat. So, this is something you’ll thank during winter. Moreover, your home’s energy efficiency will improve during colder months.
Cons of Asphalt Shingles:
- Asphalt shingles may last up to 20 years. Even laminated versions can reach up to 50 years. However, their useful life is much shorter than metal roofing.
- Otherwise, some people consider asphalt shingles boring. The reasons are that they create visual consistency in a neighborhood and due to their dark-colored surface.
- Additionally, most manufacturers don’t change colors and textures to keep low costs.
- Asphalt shingles are easy to install, that’s right. Nevertheless, by installing them yourself, you take the risk of voiding product warranties.
- Since they absorb heat, they turn into a disadvantage during the summer months.
- Regarding the environment, they are recyclable, although they use to finish in landfills. Also, since they have toxic chemicals, they are not eco-friendly.
Pros of Metal Roofing:
- There is a metal roof product for any home style since metal roofing provides a wide range of colors and styles. The products available can mimic non-metal materials such as asphalt, wood, and tile.
- Metal roofing panels are easy to work with since they are lightweight.
- They are the best roofing option regarding energy savings. During the hotter months, they contribute to reducing the energy bills and help your HVAC system.
- They are eco-friendly because they are made from recycled materials and last from 40 to 70 years.
Cons of Metal Roofing:
- Installing a metal roofing system implies a much higher initial investment than asphalt shingles.
- When a metal roof is not correctly installed, it will not reach the efficiency that it should.
- Likewise, they are hard to install. If you are not experienced installing them, you should hire a professional skilled for that job.
- You could get skin cuts by handling improperly metal roofing panels, or if you don’t use the necessary gloves.
Do You Need an Expert for Your Roofing Project?
Are you looking at the energy efficiency of metal roofs? Or, maybe you prefer the asphalt shingles’ curb appeal? In any case, you can trust Long Roofing for replacing your old roof.
We are experts in both asphalt shingles and metal roof replacements. Besides, we use the best products on the market.
Call Legend Roofs at 405-407-1201 or visit us online. You can get a quote, schedule a free, in-home consultation in Norman, Shawnee, or Oklahoma City, OK.